home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to hobby

This week I met my unreasonably observant pastor for lunch. One of the items of business to discuss was "how am I doing with my new young adult life?"

My immediate reaction was, "what do you mean?" I thought I was well into my young adulthood. Isn't that what your 20th birthday is about? You are a young adult - no longer a teen, not quite 21. I mean, thought I had the whole young adult thing down pat.

But as we talked she explained - she meant post college, and to avoid using the abhorring phrase "real life", she asked me how I was dealing with the transition from college student to young professional. And it was then that I realized, I am not handling it very well at all.

In fact, I suck at it.

Being a student made sense. You did well in class, you got involved, you spent time with friends, you found a job that was meant to further your social life and give you some walkin around money - and there you had it. And I was damn good at performing those duties.

But this new life, these new standards, these unfamiliar challenges...
What are we supposed to do with all the free time after five? How does one find a hobby?

My hope is that with a little effort, a lot of patience and a trip to a craft store, I am going to figure this whole "young adult" thing out.

But no matter how bad it gets I know sudoku will not be involved. I really and truly do not understand the appeal of that game.

No comments:

Post a Comment