home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Friday, January 11, 2013

Letting go.

 

Just when I think that maybe I need to reevaluate various components of my life, things fall into place. It's no secret that when you relinquish control, whether to a greater power or to the universe, things tend to go more smoothly.

It seems to be human nature to attempt to control both the large and the small aspects of your life. I am very guilty of an "I can do this on my own, now leave me alone" attitude. I have been lucky enough to experience a life that allowed for this idealism. I believed that with the right recipe of positivity, hard work, and self-confidence, all my goals and aspirations were possible. I believed I could live the exact life I imagine for myself.

This is not to say that those traits are to be abandoned, but what I do need to say, to myself and to you I suppose, is that no amount of self-perfecting, healthy living or positive thinking can replace the freedom that comes from admitting and reveling in the fact that we are not in control. At the end of the day - the world spins on without our help and certainly without our plans.

I'll continue to do my part, but I will also be mindful of my own limitations.

I find prayer and meditation helpful. I don't sit cross-legged and contemplate the universe, but I run, I try yoga, I bike, I nap, I walk my dog on the beach and I take a bath. That's how I commune with myself and the great big universe.

This year - I encourage you to let go. Even just a little. Lift it up to whatever your "bigger" being or thing is. Try letting go.

1 comment: