home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Friday, November 2, 2012

Rockstar Brother

My little brother has always been the type of kid that I knew was capable of doing amazing things. When he commits to something he really gives it his all.

He moved out to Seattle to try his hand at total independence, and I could not be more impressed by what he is doing for himself and for the quality of his dailiy life.

Recently, he posted this commitment on facebook, encouraging his friends and family to keep him accountable.

I told him this would make an amazing blog. If you agree, and would be interested in joining him in one or more of these monthly commitments... let me know!

A 12 Month Plan by Matt Branaman

And ladies... he's single.


Anyone and everyone is welcome to join in, I'd love to share how each month is going with people. My hope is that this will help to make my life feel more fulfilled and enjoyable. So here's the plan. (I apolog...
ize in advance for the alliteration but as lame as it was it was fun coming up with stupid month titles lol)

12 Months to Enhance my Life:

Nutritious November: Heavy emphasis on exceeding recommended intake of all vitamins and minerals via juicing and enhanced diet.

Disconnected December: Minimum screen intake needed to stay functional for work. Focus heavily on spending as much time outside as possible and remaining active.

Jamming January: Take full advantage of my resources of having a roommate who is very experienced and loves to dance. Learn to dance and spend at least an hour each day practicing and go out dancing at least once a week.

Flip through February: I don't read nearly enough... If at all outside of the internet. For the month of February I'm going to spend multiple hours a day reading and taking full advantage of the Seattle Library located right outside my door.

Musical March: Spend a month learning an instrument. I've always wanted to learn piano and was blessed with the hands to do so. Spend the month focusing on practicing piano and learning to play. Undecided on whether I will go for a self taught approach or lessons.

Athletic April: Focus of the month, EXERCISE!! Spend as much time as possible working out at the gym, biking in my free time, and honing my body in my free time.

Martial arts May: Known by few I am actually a yellow belt in Karate! I was once a 3rd grader with fists of fury believe it or not. After a 14 year hiatus I think its time to get back on the saddle and take lessons learning to discipline my body further.

Jogging June: I have always hated running, I was asthmatic as a kid and I never got the bad taste out of my mouth from it. For the Month of June I'm going to try and run as many miles as I can in my free time.

Jittery July: Though I'm not as addicted as most I still use caffeine to pick myself up in the morning or energy drinks when I'm feeling worn down. For the month of July I'm going to go without all the stimulants I've grown accustomed to.

Aging august: I grew up in the a Narthex so I'm very used to talking to an older crowd. There are tons of people who spend their days bored and lonely in nursing homes. For the month of august I want to spend my days off visiting complete strangers and trying to soak up some of the wisdom they've acquired over the years.

Studious September: For the month of September I'm going to pick something to study and try and learn as much as I can about it. Reading and studying not for a grade but for the purpose of enriching my understanding of a subject.

Outreach October: For the month of October I want to focus on helping others. Find as many places as I can to volunteer helping those in need.

While each month has a definite focus my hope is that after spending a month doing something it will become a habit and each of these changes will become apart of my weekly/daily routine.

- Matt

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Blog! Please? I would love to follow along, I miss my "little" bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a most impressive plan your brother has come up with.

    ReplyDelete