home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Directions


I spent a lot of the past three weeks trying to talk sense into the places in my inner-most self that refuse to be reasoned with.

Thankfully, I am surrounded by emotionally intelligent, devastatingly hopeful and positively inspiring women. These women help me process. They become a life line to who I am at the center of all the things that make me.

There are a thousand different ways to convince yourself that fear is both reasonable and necessary. Fear is a consistent companion and you learn how to live with him in the passenger seat. You learn what neighborhoods to avoid and where to lock your doors and roll up your windows. But I think what I'm realizing, through my processing, is that my favorite places in the world, the areas where I have learned to open up my mind and my heart are the places fear tells me to avoid.

I think that Paulo Coelho knows why. "Don't allow your mind to tell your heart what to do. The mind gives up easily." My mind has a laundry list of all the reasons not to do things. My mind is acutely aware of the dangers of optimism, of hope and of patience.

But my heart is aware of what I need. My heart is aware of what brings me joy and fulfillment. And if my mind is going to give up on the things that I value most, because they are difficult, I'll choose to ignore it.

I will choose to roll down the windows and let my heart give me directions instead.

 
Photo Credit:welcometomyfinland: Frozen flower/Jäätynyt kukka

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing and provoking thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear and wonderful friend, I hear the battle of your heart and mind and I appreciate your thoughtful words. We both know that I too wrestle with reconciling these two entities, my heart often yearning for something that my mind is unwilling to imagine. I have always admired your passion for life and now I can add admiration for your wisdom.

    My mind is generally best expressed through the wisdom of others so I turn to my favorite mystic Henri Nouwen. He says, "When we become aware that our stuttering, failing, vulnerable selves are loved even when we hardly progress, we can let go of our compulsion to prove ourselves and be free to live with others in a fellowship of the weak. That is true healing." Both your heart and mind are part of the greater whole, which is the fabulous you. Allow your heart the freedom to seek and explore the possibilities for life and allow you mind to question these desires, both are valid. Also, I will try to listen to my own advice. I so appreciate your call for a richer life experience.

    Love ya and miss ya.

    ReplyDelete