home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Consequence of 100 degree days

There had to be a fall out (besides my energy bill) as a result of these over 100 degree days. I haven't melted, my house hasn't spontaneously combusted, and I haven't resorted to breaking into the grocery store walk-in freezer across the street... yet.

But yesterday - the consequence of more than 40 days of temperatures over 100 was revealed.

My dog has lost her mind. Her brain matter has melted and my once well-behaved angel of a pit-mix has turned into Satan's spawn.

She went from being a cuddly, quiet, soft and lovable dog to a maniacal toddler trying to destroy any semblance of heat-wave sanity left in my life.

You see, Emma Lou is used to certain privileges as a rescue-pet who is horribly spoiled. She is used to walks and trips to the dog park. She is used to fetch in the backyard. She is used to reasonable amounts of physical activity. But news flash: when it's this hot - I don't go outside. And I definitely don't go outside to walk, run or play fetch.

Therefore - Emma is experiencing what I can only imagine to be maddening cabin fever. So when I come home from work at five - I am greeted with desperate slimy licks at the door that are most certainly her plea to take her out the front door and down the street - at least. When I sit down on the couch to try and stop sweating with the help of the living room ceiling fan - she stares at me threateningly and jumps backwards as every bit of pit in her pit-mix barks. My dog doesn't bark. Well, my dog didn't used to bark. Now, she most definitely barks.

She barks to protest this injustice. She barks to punish me.



This weekend - despite recommendations from weather men and scientists of varying specialties, I must brave the heat and take my dog outside before she finds a more damaging way to punish me for my negligence.

Wish me luck - pray for rain - or call Father Winter if you know him, and ask for a preview.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Emma....she is so precious. I hope that her brain will re-form as good as new once the weather cools off from brain-melting temperatures and it can solidify again. I can't imagine how you're surviving the weather right now...I was going crazy here when it was over 100 degrees for just a few days. Having mountains close by is a godsend...when we were at grandfather mountain I had to wear a jacket (a JACKET!!!) because the temperatures at that elevation are the equivalent of Canadian climates. Just keep thinking "Traverse City in October, Traverse City in October...."

    ReplyDelete