home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bored with Perfection

"Perfection is shallow, unreal, and fatally uninteresting." 
 Anne Lamott

Yet again, Anne nails it.

I have spent an impressive chunk of my life pursuing some form of perfection. I started off trying to be the perfect daughter, then sister, then friend, then student, then socialite, then employee, then serious girlfriend.

Maybe you figured this out sooner than I did - but it's freaking hard. Scratch that - it's freakin' impossible.

Perfection always felt like the goal, but now it seems as unattainable as waking up with hair I can wear to work as-is. And you know what? The more I realize how boring perfection really is - the more I'm alright with accepting I will never be just that. I will never be boring. I will never be perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this all the time - I think that in letting go of perfection we are able to be our most authentic selves. So why is it so impossible? It's a process I guess. I want to read this book:

    http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Perfect-Chasing-Perfection-Happier/dp/0071608826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309966367&sr=8-1

    <3, kristin

    ReplyDelete