home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Smart people

Yesterday I kicked up the nerd level to a solid 7 by downloading stitcher on my iphone. It's an app (search that shit) that let's you string together podcasts you love in categories and then automatically updates them for your listening pleasure.


I've never been a big podcast fan, mostly because the ones I'm aware of are the ones my significant other listens to - and those are all involving Kevin Smith and his friends. I am a big fan of some Kevin Smith - yay Dogma - but most of it falls a bit short on the mentally relevant for me.





I think the Smodcast  about Doc Brown being more than a time doctor so that he could provide an abortion for Marty and thus solve the problems of Back to the Future II was my breaking point.


But yesterday, I discovered smart people podcasts. NPR podcasts. Hallelujiah. I'm improving my brain and enjoying a podcast. There are the relevant and enjoyable podcasts like Fresh Air and This American Life, but there are also the unexpected like "Pop Culture Happy Hour."


Pop Culture Happy Hour is "a special audio frolic in which I sat down with NPR Music's Stephen Thompson, NPR.org arts editor Trey Graham, and comics blogger Glen Weldon to talk about movies, TV, and what we're loving and not loving these days." (to quote creator Linda Holmes)


It is a perfect amalgamation of witty, current and hysterical.


I am relieved to find that smart (funny) people make podcasts for elitist listeners like me.

1 comment:

  1. One of my goals for this weekend is to get myself that Stitched app. Something to further enhance my NPR podcast experience? If it's possible, sign me up :)

    ReplyDelete