home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Great Outdoors



Tomorrow, hopefully, I will go rock climbing with a new friend that I have wanted to spend time with since we met a little over a month ago.

I haven't done any kind of indoor climbing in a very long time, but I did outdoor climb (very informally) in May, and two summers ago had a fabulous experience outdoors in Colorado.

There is something about climbing outside that makes me both nervous and overcome with enthusiasm. I think what I love about outdoor climbing is the sense of urgency and the need to keep moving. Indoors I feel like I'm allowed to think and pause and give up, because everyone around you is doing different things, and it's just a synthetic wall anyway.

Outside, I feel like nature is taunting me if I stop or give up. I find myself thinking "this stupid rock isn't going to beat me." There is also a sick sense of gratification when you walk away scraped bruised and otherwise scarred by the experience physically. You feel like you worked. You feel like you earned your way to the top.

No matter where you climb - it is important to move forward. I guess that is somewhat symbolic right?

It doesn't matter where we're headed - we just need to keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment