home aboutme toread bloglove contactme

Friday, November 4, 2011

No shop November

My personal no shop November challenge has become plan for my May vacation instead.

I am doing well not buying myself any unnecessary goodies or clothing so far. (wow, good job me. it's only 4 days into November.) However, I will admit Airika and I received a scarf that we ordered on Cold Water Creek in October. I felt a little like I was cheating... but it was October when I ordered it. So it's fair game.

In May there is a wonderful window of time where students have left campus and there isn't much to do, which leaves a perfect little vacation sized hole in me and my wonderful other's schedules. This past May we went hiking in Joshua Tree National Park and lazed around the hidden gem known as the 29 Palms Inn. If you are looking for a place to really get away, hike, and relax - I would recommend checking this place out.


One of my photos from the informal rock climbing in Joshua Tree.

Don't be thrown off by the terribly unprofessional website, or the lack of amenities featured. This place is a little slice of heaven, as long as you don't mind the desert. I didn't think it would be my cup of tea, but I loved every minute of our sand and stone laden escape.

This year, my pick is a bed and breakfast in Key West. We did the desert, now we need to go for a different sandy experience. I was drawn to the Popular House thanks to multiple yelp reviews and a sense of eclectic, home cooked comfort. If it works out for us - I'll be thrilled.


Key West beach front.


 The Popular House, just outside town, walking distance to the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Did Su Harz help you out with your last vacay? She grew up in the 29 Palms area. :)

    Our little vacation was in corpus this year. It was only a weekend stay, but I'll tell you what... I didn't think of work a single moment while I was there.

    Good luck saving! All my pieces of change go towards top surgery these days. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trip is definitely worth saving your moolah for - so excited for you guys, you're going to have a great time :)

    ReplyDelete